Thursday 3 October 2013

The Elite by Kiera Cass



America Singer is one of the Elite and Prince Maxon only has eyes for her.

If she wins the competition for his heart, she will leave her pre-destined life for a world of luxury. But the outcome is less than certain; the threat of rebel violence jsut beyond the palace walls is escalating into war and bitter rivals are ready to take her down.

And as America's feelings for Maxon grow stronger, ex-lover Aspen waits for her in the shadows. 

Where do her loyalties truly lie?



Now, there's no secret I'm a big, ol' fan of The Selection (Look, there it is on my sidebar!), because that book was just so darn awesome. Preppy, pretty, bitches all fighting it out for the Prince's heart, what more is there, really? Since it's been FOREVER since I wrote a book review, any of the ones coming aren't exactly new releases and most I've read a couple of times by now. But this is my blog so whatever.

REVIEW FOR THE ELITE BY KIERA CASS

At Face Value: I like that the covers haven't changed (I HATE when that happens) but I'm not a fan of this dress. I like that the girl looks fierce but I'm a bit over the dress-y covers.

High Five: I would love to say this one was as awesome as the first but it just missed the mark for me. I still enjoyed it, but probably only at the 3.5-finger level.

Favourite Quote:

"Maybe this isn't the right thing to say but I want you to know: when you ran for that stage, I've never been so proud of you in all my life. You've always been beautiful; you've always been talented. And now I now your morale compass is perfectly aligned, that you see clearly when things are wrong, and you do everything in your power to stop it. As a father, I couldn't ask for more."

The thing I really love about Kiera Cass's books is that fact I can't choose whose team I would join in the little love triangle of hers. Yes, I get that people hate love triangles these days (whatever) but they're great when they're actually done right. Don't ask me to choose between Maxon and Aspen because I can't even...

I think what made this book less enjoyable than it could have been was the predictability of what happened to Marlee, and the lack of fear over these supposed-vicious rebels. Yes, we see the destruction they've caused, but really? It feels very two-dimensional to me. These two things alone could have been made into something wickedly unreal but they just fell flat. 

That said, May is as adorable as ever, there's finally some more depth into the royal family, and America keeps on doing that jump-without-thinking thing she's so good at. 

I find it odd though, that even after a second book I'm still in the same place as I was after the first. Maxon is ahead by the teeniest amount and I'm just hoping neither of the lads has some horrible death ahead of them.

1 comment:

  1. I read The Selection a few weeks ago and fell in love. I'm waiting (impatiently) for Amazon to bring me The Elite.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for commenting! It means more than you know :)