Tuesday 7 February 2012

I'm-a, I'm-a, Deviant

Book review for Divergent



 
One choice decides your friends, defines your beliefs and determines your loyalties... forever.

When sixteen-year-old Tris makes her choice, she cannot foresee how drastically her life will change. Or that the perfect society in which she lives is about to unfold into a dystopian world of electrifying decisions, stunning consequences, heartbreaking betrayals and unexpected romance. 

One Choice can transform you.



To be honest, I saw this book non-stop on shelves a few months back but it never piqued my interest. The blurb was kind of vague, the cover was overly dystopian, which I love now, but really wasn’t into back then.
Then I started to read on quite a few blogs about a book with five factions, a hero called Tris and a schmexy teacher dude called Four and you couldn’t keep me away from the shops for long enough.
Too bad when I finally went to buy it, the book was nowhere to be found.
Well, Amazon delivered last week after a fortnight of waiting and then… Veronica Roth happened. And ho-ly cow. I’m so glad I read those blogs.

My Review: 

At face value: The Dauntless symbol on the front is pretty cool however the city across the bottom and two people in the corner screamed MG for me.

Immediate Reaction: I can wait for the next one only because it comes out this year. Until then, bring on more dystopians.

High Five: Had to give it a four. No thumb. Everything just measures up to Cinder now.

Favourite Quote:
“Four! Three!”
What did Tobias tell me? Selflessness and bravery aren’t that different.
“Two!”
I release the trigger of my gun and drop it. Before I can lose my nerve, I turn and press my forehead to the barrel of the gun behind me.
Shoot me instead.
“One!”
I hear a click, and a bang.

Divergent is so obviously, OTT, dystopic. There is no way Roth had a problem trying to place it in a genre. The characters, whilst maintaining the strength of most dystopic characters, are what really drives this story. Tris, coming from Abnegation, keeps her morals and even though she is tough to the maximus, she still feels human emotions and knows the difference between right and wrong. I heart her for that.

Now, because the blurb gives practically nothing to go on, I’ll do my own little recap of the book. Tris, or Beatrice (blah!) as she’s originally known, has been born into Abnegation, one of the five factions of Chicago. The other four are Dauntless, Amity, Erudite and Candor. These all stand for different personality traits. Everyone at the age of sixteen takes a test, the test tells them where they fit best and then, they get to choose anyway. SPOILER. (Like you didn’t already know it was coming) Tris chooses Dauntless. These guys are the badass fighting league of the factions who have very little-to-no people skills in my opinion. There is a lot of power and greed in this faction and more than one person ends up getting a boo-boo. MOVING ON, in comes Four, or should I say, Phaw, to distract me with his ‘I’m so badass, I’m really good’ type of thing that he does. And then, like all dystopians, we jump ahead a little and there’s fighting and rebellion and what-not. Sound good? Mmk, moving on.

Roth has developed this futuristic view of Chicago so deeply it’s hard to believe it doesn’t exist already. The five factions are so completely devoid of any human deviance from the norm that you pretty much start to doubt these people are humans at all. The belief systems are established early on, but the way each faction holds its citizens to these beliefs so completely, feels forced. I’m glad Roth brought in the factionless because otherwise, I may not have been able to get past the idea that with only five factions, there really should be more Divergents. 
 
THAT SAID, the end comes along and I’m proved right. So there.

The characters I’d like to give a little mention to are Christina, who I really liked in the beginning and then not-so-much at the end, Al, poor, poor Al. Will, who was all kinds of cute. And Eric. This guy was like a five year old playing grown up. Dang he was annoying, and played his part perfectly. As for what happened between Tris and Will, holy moly I wanted to TEAR THAT DAMN PAGE OUT AND PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED. Ahem.

 I loved (and at the same time hated) the parts with Peter. To me, he was the one I really felt sorry for. What he did to Edward was just… And then what he did to Al and Tris… That is one screwed up character. And man, did he make things interesting! I loved that Four was a deep character and not just someone dancing about on the sidelines. I loved the part where he threw knives and Tris’s head. I loved when they climbed the Ferris wheel together. But mostly, I loved the two parts in the simulation room. They were AWESOME!

 Now, the nitty gritty stuff that stopped this book from getting a high five really weren’t that big of a deal. Firstly, the OMIGOD moment that was supposed to happen with her brother (I don’t even remember that kid’s name) really wasn’t very shocking. I think I saw it coming in the second chapter and was positive by the third.
 A few times there were scared people mentioned and I still have no idea what that was about. And the part with TRIS and WILL that I cannot mention and am still pretending DIDN’T HAPPEN, also made me not like this book, although I appreciate that Roth went there.
 Mostly though, it was the ‘climax’ so to speak. Whilst reading it, I enjoyed it. But it didn’t get my heart rate going. It didn’t make me never want to put the book down again. I guess, in a sense, I didn’t feel the danger. And that’s a big problem for me. Looking back on it, it seemed too easy. What happens with Four could have been taken into the realms of so damn disturbing but it was like Roth just wanted to get to that last chapter. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoyed reading it, but it really had the potential to be that much more.

 Still, this book got a Four off me. I loved it, I loved the concept and I especially loved Tris. There are plenty of people out there that have given it a five but for me, a five is a massively high honour, and I refuse to give it out until I find a book I deem perfect. Divergent was close. Bring on Insurgent!

7 comments:

  1. Great review! I really enjoyed this book. Might not have LOVED LOVED it like so many others, but it was still a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it? There just something about Tris and her world that dragged me under. BUT it was no Cinder, and for me, that's what everything stacks up against.

    And thanks for the comment *big smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoy your reviews!!
    If your reviews are like this, i can't wait to read your published book :0)All the best Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks so much! That's really nice of you to say! And a published book is still a whole while away... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather! Yes yes yes! I saw it EVERYWHERE! In shops, on Goodreads, on blogs, but I kind of passed it over. The blurb was vague, and the cover was kind of 'whatever' (now I freaking LOVE that cover). "and then... Veronica Roth happened. And ho-ly cow. I’m so glad I read those blogs."

    I loved so SO much about this book! The factions! The world building! The characters (Yes: Will=heartbroken </3).

    Hehe, I TOTALLY didn't see it coming with her brother--I was too wrapped up in everything else. Now I want to re-read and see all the clues I missed!

    LOVED your review! LOVE LOVE LOVED. And I'm giggling over your labels XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather! Yes yes yes! I saw it EVERYWHERE! In shops, on Goodreads, on blogs, but I kind of passed it over. The blurb was vague, and the cover was kind of 'whatever' (now I freaking LOVE that cover). "and then... Veronica Roth happened. And ho-ly cow. I’m so glad I read those blogs."

    I loved so SO much about this book! The factions! The world building! The characters (Yes: Will=heartbroken </3).

    Hehe, I TOTALLY didn't see it coming with her brother--I was too wrapped up in everything else. Now I want to re-read and see all the clues I missed!

    LOVED your review! LOVE LOVE LOVED. And I'm giggling over your labels XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah! It's crazy how much blog comments make me smile! :D <<see?

      And I love your blog too! All the reviews I've read on there are so damn thoughtful. I've read a couple of people's that have been a really lame-arse excuse at reviewing. To me, a couple paragraphs about how 'cool' this was or how 'gay' that was, isn't really reviewing. There's a why to everything and your blogs really get that!

      Thanks for taking the time to read mine!

      Delete

THANK YOU for commenting! It means more than you know :)