Thursday 13 September 2012

GUTGAA: No party's complete without it - TAG!


Man this game takes me back. Back to the days that still had vivid colour, where my mum was infallible, and Disney was the only imagination I knew. 
That stage passed and was gone until high school. The heightened hormones, the excitement when a bunch of friends showed up for the night and (gulp!) your crush was one of them. Then of COURSE, you decide to play murder in the dark and run around a pitch black house shrieking each time you're tagged. And since he's there you're all brave and cool but secretly, you're running around holding your best friend's hand. 

First up, I want to thank the always awesome Diana for tagging me in this game. If you haven't swung by and met her yet, I suggest you do so here

And since I'm tagged, I get to answer a couple of questions about my WIP.


What is the working title of your book?

'Illusion of a majesty'. One of my crit/writerly friends came up with it. She's great at that kind of thing, and although it may not seem like much at first, there's meaning behind it. 

Where did the idea come from for the book?

Well... I'm sure I mentioned something about a certain schmexy European (who, I should probably let you all know, is actually The Boy) but I'm going to strain to remember the 'real' story. Basically, I ALWAYS used to read, even when The Boy and I first met. And, after throwing a tantrum when yet another of my beloved books ended badly, he innocently asked 'why don't you just write your own?' Let me tell you, he regrets that suggestion every day since. 
Jenna kind of jumped into my head (as have a number of my other MCs). My first glimpse of her was in a foreign house, tears sliding down her face, listening as her younger sister banged around in the next room. So I guess, the idea didn't really come from anywhere or anything in particular. The Boy reminded me of something I loved, and Jenna and I moulded it from there.

What genre does your book fall under?

Young Adult fantasy. I've been categorising it as Urban Fantasy though, and the people I've spoken to about this are kind of torn between which I should go with.
 
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Geez. Let's start with the agent and go from there. I really wish I could answer this with a detailed list but there's only ever been one person that has stunned me with their similarity to my character. 
So (drum roll please), Christian Emmers, teen heart-throb and majesty-extrodinaire, would be played by Rob Mayers if I got my wish. Don't know who he is? I didn't either until they did a remake of Ice Castles (an old favourite). I highly recommend checking him out.

What is a one sentence synopsis of your book?

O_o <--- This is how I feel when this question comes up. So, keeping that in mind...

Jenna Rose must master her power to save the city, but when her power is sends her nuts she has to chose: be imprisoned by the enemy, or imprisoned by her mind.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agent?

An agent. Please and thank you. The end.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
 
A few months. Then I edited. Then I left for a few months, got excited, and shopped WAY too early. I sent out one query, was rejected on my 21st birthday, and hid in my room for a month. I had this one shelved for years but I finally pulled it out again a year ago and did a complete overhaul.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

The page-scortchingly sexy Christian actually has his own life AWAY from Jenna. Crazy right? And there is none of that insta-love here. (Not that I don't enjoy a good romance). Jenna's loopy and dangerous father is hunting them down, her out-spoken sister is joining the rebels, and Jenna is quite literally scaring herself to death.
There's sword fights, drunken parties, and (I should hope) characters and relationships you can relate to.

My turn to pass it on!


TAG! You're it!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Heather for tagging me, this is so cool, I can not believe you like Ice Castles. If someone was to ask what is my favorite movie of all time the original Ice Castles would be my answer. I can't wait to play along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you let me know when yours is up! I'd love to see it :)

      And the original Ice Castles was just amazing.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for tagging me Heather! (God I wish there was an edit button on comments. I always end up putting typos and erasing mine)

    I was gonna try and get this up today, but I'm thinking maybe tonight cause my husband is dragging me away from my computer.

    Plus, now I have to give some serious thought to who should play my characters in a movie. haha. It' funny, I totally had my "cast" the first book. I knew everyone in it. Not with this one though.

    I remember Ice Castles. I loved that movie, although I had no idea they'd remade it. I'll have to check that out.

    I read how Christian has his own life away from Jenna and laughed because I went the TOTAL opposite direction with my book--but that's what variety is for, right? (And Luc's not annoyingly overbearing about being in love, the way a certain sparkly vampire was. hehe) Your book sounds really interesting. I love the "majesties" and it's a totally cool title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANOTHER ICE CASTLES FAN! I knew you guys were cool! The remake is worth watching for nothing else but it's cuteness factor. It's not as amazing as the first one, but Taylor Kisch and Rob Mayers work really well together.

      And I'm praying for an edit button also. Everywhere I go, I leave a little trail of deleted comments behind me...

      Delete

THANK YOU for commenting! It means more than you know :)